The HIMSS Annual Conference & Exhibition has had some big-name keynote speakers over the years, pulling from the ranks of politics, big tech and even the White House.
At HIMSS17 in Orlando, keynote speakers include John Boehner, former speaker of the US House of Representatives; Ginni M. Roomette, chairman, president and chief executive officer at IBM; Robert Herjavec, cybersecurity expert, entrepreneur and author and Kevin O’Leary, investor and innovator;
The following gallery highlights some of the best quotes from HIMSS keynote speakers over the years.
Advance to the next slide to begin the gallery.
"Today 3/4 of doctors are using EHRs. There is now a digital care footprint for almost everyone in the country."
- HHS Secretary Sylvia Burwell at HIMSS16.
"The sort of magic in creating new solutions is you have to understand everything that you’re interpreting from the customers, but also – at the ingredient level – what’s happening. The magic is putting those together and creating the winning solution for the future."
- Dell CEO Michael Dell at HIMSS16.
"Logical solutions become inevitable. The same will happen in healthcare."
- Former President George W. Bush at HIMSS15.
"Your focus on health IT is such a big part of how this story ends."
- Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton at HIMSS14.
"The whole promise of information technology is that we can manage data in ways we never did before to see what the heck it is we’re doing."
- Former President Bill Clinton at HIMSS13.
"The insurance companies are not trying to make providers rich."
- Karl Rove, former senior advisor to George W. Bush, at HIMSS13.
"Read a hospital bill: It's about as reliable as the price of a rug in Istanbul."
- Political commentator and Democratic party strategist James Carville at HIMSS13.
"You need to starting treating (medical errors) as inexcusable."
- Former US Airways Captain Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger, who famously landed his Airbus 320 in the Hudson River, at HIMSS10.
"If I had to pick one industry facing the biggest gap between need for change and use of wireless to facilitate that change, it would be healthcare."
- Former Sprint CEO Dan Hesse at HIMSS10.
"We spent the first year developing policy. Now we begin the process of implementation."
- Then National Coordinator for Health IT, David Blumenthal, MD, at HIMSS10.
"We need to move consumers from being bystanders in healthcare to active participants."
- Former CEO and chair of AOL Steve Case at HIMSS08
"It's up to the IT industry to step up to its role to build the tools to advance healthcare to the next level."
- Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer at HIMSS07
"You have an opportunity to do something that's very important ... to transform and modernize the antiquated, plodding, inefficient U.S. healthcare system."
- Former Speaker of the House Newt Gingrich at HIMSS04