MGMA launches social networking platform
The Medical Group Management Association announced the launch of a new social networking community for its members at the group's annual conference this week.
The MGMA Member Community is a proprietary online community for medical practice administrators. Working with social-networking architects Higher Logic, MGMA built the site with special features for its members in mind.
William F. Jessee, MD, president and CEO of the MGMA, said members consistently rank networking with other members as their primary reason for belonging to the organization. Given that interest, the MGMA has looked for ways to enhance and centralize networking technology, he said, and creating the new online community seemed a natural decision.
"Our members have already found each other on public social networking sites, but can get lost amid the millions of other users," said Jessee. "We know our members best and understand what features will be most valuable to them in their jobs."
Jessee said MGMA members can reach the Member Community via the MGMA Web site.
Features of the new MGMA Member Community social networking platform include:
- Discussion groups - members can create ad hoc, event-based or issue-related groups;
- Blogs - members can create their own blogs for other members to read, respond to and rate;
- File repository/resource library - members can upload, download and search documents to share with their peers;
- Expanded subscription options - members can participate online, via e-mail or both; and
- Enhanced member directory and member profiles - members can search for one another by name, location, certification level, membership participation, organization type, practice type, practice setting, specialty, physician count, interest areas and education.
Jessee said the MGMA would enhance the Member Community over the next several months by adding RSS feeds, study groups, Wikis and polling.