16 critical access hospitals are best of the best
For the past five years, iVantage Health Analytics has been compiling an annual list of the top 100 critical access hospitals in America. Just 16 facilities have made it onto the list every year of the survey.
By outperforming their peers in quality of care, cost efficiency, health outcomes, patient satisfation and population health management, these small, rural hospitals are "can serve as a blueprint for other rural providers working actively to navigate the transition to value-based healthcare models," according to iVantage.
- Avera Holy Family Health, Iowa
- Hegg Memorial Health Center, Iowa
- Sioux Center Community Hospital & Health, Iowa
- Decatur County Memorial Hospital, Indiana
- Redington Fairview General Hospital, Maine
- Waldo County General Hospital, Maine
- New Ulm Medical Center, Minnesota
- Community Hospital Of Anaconda, Montana
- Brodstone Memorial Hospital, Nebraska
- Speare Memorial Hospital, New Hampshire
- Kittitas Valley Community Hospital, Washington
- Door County Memorial Hospital, Wisconsin
- Hudson Hospital, Wisconsin
- Red Cedar Medical Center-Mayo Health System, Wisconsin
- Richland Hospital, Wisconsin
- Star Valley Medical Center, Wyoming
These are challenging times for CAHs: about 50 rural hospitals have closed over the past 10 years, and iVantage has identified 283 similar facilities at risk of closure – potentially costing 86,000 jobs and forcing 700,000 Medicare patients to venture further afield for their healthcare.
iVantage’s recent "Rural Relevance Study: Vulnerability to Value" evaluated more than 1,300 critical access hospitals using public information such as Medicare cost reports, Medicare Provider Analysis and Review data and other data from CMS to arrive at best CAHs for 2015.
Healthcare Finance has compiled a sortable list of all 100 critical access hospitals named to iVantage's 2015 list. See it here.