The 2011 HIMSS Davies Award Winners were announced Tuesday during a conference that was part of National Health Information Technology Week. Officials have also changed the criteria for next year's awards, aligning them with the HIMSS Analytics EMR adoption model.
Officials said the six winners deliver quality and consistent care to the patients and populations they serve with information technology – specifically the electronic health record.
The 2011 HIMSS Davies Award Winners by category:
HIMSS Enterprise Davies Award Winner
- Kaiser Permanente
HIMSS Ambulatory Davies Award Winners
- James F. Holsinger, MD
- Fallon Clinic
HIMSS Community Health Organization Davies Award Winner
- Hudson River Healthcare, Inc.
HIMSS Public Health Davies Award Winners:
- New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene, Primary Care and Information Project
- Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Epidemiology Electronic Surveillance System for Early Notification of Community-based Epidemics – Florida (ESSENCE-FL)
Officials also announced that the HIMSS Davies Awards of Excellence have been aligned with HIMSS Analytics Stage 6 and Stage 7 awards of EMR adoption, which they said impact the award categories, criteria and the application process.
“Since its introduction some 17 years ago, the HIMSS Davies Award program has recognized 77 healthcare organizations in four categories: organizational, ambulatory, community health organizations and public health systems,” said Patricia B. Wise, vice president, health information systems, HIMSS. “Now, to expand the relevancy and reach of our EHR achievement awards, the HIMSS Board of Directors approved in June 2011 the alignment of the HIMSS Davies Award program and HIMSS Analytics Stage 7 recognition, which will offer an even more in-depth analysis of the value of health IT in improving healthcare delivery.”
Other changes to the HIMSS Davies Awards of Excellence program include:
- The streamlined award application process is now open on a rolling basis with applications accepted and affiliated recognition offered, throughout the year.
- Award categories are: HIMSS Enterprise Davies Award (formerly Organizational) and HIMSS Ambulatory Davies Award, including independent practices, community health organizations and enterprise clinics, and HIMSS Public Health Davies Award. The new criteria for the public health award will be released in spring 2012.
- Applicants submit a letter of intent and up to five case studies in two categories.
- All applicants submit two core case studies with one on return on investment and one on clinical value.
- HIMSS Enterprise Davies Award applicants submit three, and HIMSS Ambulatory Davies Award applicants submit two, menu case studies written on topics, such as usability, leadership, health information exchange, etc.
- All case studies will be available in multiple HIMSS educational and online venues.
Applications for the HIMSS Davies Award of Excellence will be accepted beginning on Nov. 1, said Wise. “We also are asking interested applicants to submit an ‘intent to apply’ form available on the HIMSS website beginning on Oct. 1. This may seem like an extra step, but it really provides guidance for HIMSS and our Davies award committees as we plan for judging and dissemination of the winning case studies.” Wise also explained winners will be notified in 45 days with the winning case studies then posted on the HIMSS website.
Bios of the 2011 HIMSS Davies Award Winners are on the next page.