With the number of people using Twitter growing exponentially, it can sometimes be hard to hear through all the noise. Thankfully, there are a select few healthcare experts whose tweets -- and blogs -- offer some of the best reads in the industry.
We decided to round up, in no particular order, some of the best HIT bloggers actively using Twitter.
1. Christina Thielst, @Cthielst. Christina Thielst is the blogger behind Christina's Considerations and vice president at Tower Patient Experience Consulting Group. In addition to maintaining an active social media presence, Thielst blogs regularly on healthcare information technology, telehealth and using social media in a healthcare context. She is the author of two books and numerous articles found on the Web, and her blog was named one of the best health blogs of 2011 by Healthline.
2. Fred Pennic, @hitconsultant. Fred Pennic is the founder of the site HIT Consultant, a social community for HIT professionals. The site offers coverage on topics such as ACOs, Meaningful Use, digital health, and more, and it was recently named the best overall healthcare IT blog of 2012 by Care360.
3. Shahid Shah, @ShahidNShah. Shahid Shah is an enterprise software analyst and the blogger behind The Healthcare IT Guy. In addition to The Healthcare IT Guy, which focuses mainly on health IT, EMRs, medical content and more, Shah runs Shahid's Perspectives, which covers architectural issues and HIT Sphere, which is an aggregator of health IT blog content from across the Web.
[See also: 10 physicians to follow on Twitter.]
4. Keith W. Boone, @motorcycle_guy. Keith Boone is a standards architect at GE Healthcare and the blogger behind Healthcare Standards. On his blog, Boone focuses mainly on both education and commentary on current standards, while dedicating pages to open source, Boone's favorites from around the Web, and "The Ad Hoc Harleys," which recognizes exceptional contributions to standards development. Boone's blog was also named one of the top 100 health blogs of 2011 by Healthline.
5. Michael Planchart, @theEHRguy. Michael Planchart is an entrepreneur and an enterprise and solutions architect. He blogs regularly at The EHR Guy's Blog, and, most recently, is conducting the annual #HIT100 list on Twitter. Planchart specializes in healthcare interoperability and integration, and he tweets regularly regarding all things Hl7, DUCOM, IHE, CCHIT and more.
6. Lisa Suennan, @VentureValkyrie. Lisa Suennen is a founding partner at Psilos Group Managers and the blogger behind Venture Valkyrie. Named after a demi-goddess character from Marvel Comics, Suennen's blog focuses mainly on healthcare and healthcare investing, with a dash of humor and welcomed sarcasm. Suennen both tweets and blogs regularly, while participating in speaking engagements across the country.