Healthcare and IT jobs supporting these advancements will continue to be the fastest growing career paths. There will be a continued demand for healthcare IT skills to fill these vacancies. HIMSS realizes the need to support those entering these positions and the Emerging Professionals community has been designed to do just that! The Emerging Professionals community (now greater than 13,000 strong) represents any individual with five years or less of experience in health IT. This community also is part of HIMSS strategic plan to create career growth opportunities for our diverse membership. HIMSS Career Services’ goal is to ensure all of our members, regardless of previous or current background have the necessary resources to launch, support, maintain and excel a health IT career path. HIMSS Emerging Professionals Community is that support.
What skills do you really need to make your mark on the health IT industry? There is no specific formula for career success but such things as: certifications, degrees in support of the healthcare industry but also creativity, adaptability and an open minded sense are invaluable to any health IT career path.
To ensure we are in the forefront of the required skills to be successful and to keep in step with industry trends, we created the HIMSS Career Services Task Force. This task force provides HIMSS with strategic guidance on best practices, technologies, and emerging trends to optimize HIMSS Career Services initiatives. This Task Force further strengthens HIMSS position as the leader for credible and comprehensive career service offerings focused on health IT and management systems for all of the various levels of HIMSS members and in the various stages of their health IT careers.
CHAIR: Patricia Dombrowski, Director, Life Science Informatics Center, Bellevue College along with HIMSS staff liaisons Maggie Van Vossen and Helen Figge.
Committee members include:
• James Brady, PhD, M.Ed., CPHMS Director, Technical Services, Hawaii Health Systems
• Mike Brand, Senior Consultant, Object Health LLC.
• Erin Dickerman, RN, BSN, MB, Clinical Change Manager, Adoption & Sustainment, Tenet Healthcare IMPACT Program
• Cathy Fant, Ph.D., RN, Graduate Nursing Faculty, Kaplan University
• E.J. Fechenda, Audience Data Manager, MedTech Media
• Mark Hennessey, Technical Recruiting Supervisor, Vangent, Inc.
• Brenda Herrmann, Principal Consultant, Dell
• Susan Houston, Chief, Portfolio Management, NIH, Clinical Center
• Richard Katz, MBA, President and CEO, Human Resource Marketing Services, Inc.
• John Piescik, Strategy Program Manager, MITRE Corporation
• Jim Rose, Senior Manager, Talent Acquisition, Deloitte Services LP
• Bonnie Siegel, FHIMSS, Recruiter, Witt Kiefer
• LeRoy Smith, Manager Informatics, Henry May Memorial Hospital
Have some thoughts that you feel HIMSS Career Services needs to address? Contact Maggie Van Vossen. Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available and remember...Be passionate about your career path and strive to make a difference and learn, learn…learn. Technology is only the enabler; individuals will be the “transformers” of health IT in the years to come!
Helen Figge is Senior Director of Career Services at HIMSS.